1 cup pecan halves
1 basic pie crust, unbaked
1 large egg
3 egg whites
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust dough to a 12-13-inch circle.
2. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, pressing to fit and crimping the edges to form a rim.
3. Freeze the dough for about 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, corn syrup, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, and salt; mix well. Stir in the pecan halves and pour the mixture into the pie shell.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, then tent loosely with aluminium foil.
7. Bake for about 15-20 more minutes (until the tip of a knife inserted 1-inch from the edge comes out clean).
8. Let cool on a wire rack.