Old Fashioned Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
The perfect recipe for an old-fashioned chocolate buttermilk cake that is so moist that your guests will think it came from a bakery!
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 (1-oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 (1-oz) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Half-and-half (if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl or standing mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate.
- In separate bowl, combine four and salt. Add buttermilk and chocolate mixture, alternating. Stir in vanilla.
- In small bowl, dissolve baking soda in vinegar. Slowly add this to the chocolate mixture. Mix just until blended. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes then remove from pans. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely before frosting.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well between additions. Stir in chocolate and vanilla. If necessary, thin frosting with 1-2 tsps. half-and-half.
Prep Time:20 minutes-Cook Time:35 minutesYield:8 servings
Recipe Source : Flavorite